Our cellphones are our most important possession in today’s world.
Throughout time, technology has made it possible to transfer our whole lives onto one small device. We’ve gone paperless and no longer need to carry around daily planners or print out driving directions to get us to our destination.
And with all the many things that our cell phones do for us, customizing them and making them our own personal device is something we love doing. One of the best ways to customize your iPhone is to set any song you want as the ringtone. Your iPhone ringtones don’t have to simply be chimes preprogrammed on your phone.
You can now set any song as your ringtone, and we’re here to tell you how. Continue reading to learn more.
Setting Your iPhone Ringtone with iTunes
The first way to do this is by using iTunes.
As an iPhone owner, you’re well aware of iTunes and how it works. But here’s the breakdown on how to use it for switching up your ringtones.
Older Version of iTunes with the Tone Section
- You’ll want to open iTunes and then switch into the Music section.
- Go to Files. Click on Add Files (into the library for importing the song into your iTunes).
- Right-click it to get more information.
- Click on Options where you can select where the song starts and stops for the ringtone (you won’t want it to be longer than 30 seconds).
- Once completed, choose the now-edited song, and click Files>Convert>Create AAC Version.
- Now, go to the folder in your iTunes library. You can also right-click on your new AAC file and “Show in Windows Explorer.”
- Now you can rename the file type to M4R.
- Take the M4R file and “drag” and “drop” it into your iTunes library.
- Now it’s syncable to your iPhone and available for a ringtone.
Newer Versions of iTunes without the Tone Section (iTunes 12.7 and newer)
- Follow steps 1-7 as stated above (you’ll use all these same steps for the newer versions as well).
- Once you rename the file type to an M4R file, plug in your iPhone and click on Summary>Tones (located under “On My Device”).
- You now can “drag” and “drop” or copy and paste the ringtone (M4R file) into the Tone section.
- Now set your new ringtone on your iPhone.
Using iTunes to switch up your ringtones is simple and the most common way of doing so. However, this is not the only way to dance to your own beat while receiving an incoming call.
Setting Your iPhone Ringtone with GarageBand
GarageBand is an app on the iPhone that works as a music studio.
Using this app, audio files and songs are easily transformed into ringtones. If you don’t have GarageBand on your iPhone, be sure to install it from the App store now.
Once you’ve installed GarageBand, follow these steps:
- Open the GarageBand app on our iPhone and click on “Audio.”
- At the top right of the screen is the gear icon. Click this and choose “Song Settings.”
- Then click on “Metronome and Count-in.” Now, you’ll click on “No Sound.”
- Beneath the gear icon, click on the “+” tab. Change the song sections from 8 to 30 (remember, you don’t want it to be longer than 30 seconds).
- Now, click on the “Import” icon and retrieve your desired audio file or song. Press and hold to “drag” and “drop” into GarageBand.
- You’re now able to edit it and clip out your favorite part of the song.
- Once you’re done editing, click on “My Song” and save it.
- Press and hold it to “Share” as a new ringtone.
- The final step is to select “Done” after you rename it and set it as your ringtone from your iPhone’s Settings Section.
Please take note that songs or audio files must already be in your song library to import them into GarageBand.
Using a music app like Myxer free ringtones is an easy way to download your music onto your computer and then transfer it over to your iPhone, where it can then be set as a ringtone following these steps.
Setting Ringtones for Individual Contacts
Now that you’ve put together some awesome songs for new ringtones, it’s time to set specific songs for individual contacts.
- Go to your Contacts in your iPhone.
- Choose the contact that you’d like to set a specific ringtone for.
- Now, click on “Edit,” located at the top right of the screen.
- Once in the Editing mode for that contact, click on “Ringtone.”
- You’ll now see a list of all available ringtones.
- Select any ringtone that you’d like for this contact and then hit “Done.”
- Before exiting, be sure to hit “Save.”
This is a fun way to customize your phone because you’ll know who’s calling without having to look at your phone. You’ll tell by the song that plays when they call or text.
Get Ready to Jam Out
Your iPhone ringtones don’t have to be boring and similar to everyone else’s. Switch things up and get ready to jam out to your new ringtones! Follow the steps listed above, and you’ll be customizing your ringtones in no time!
Whether you have an older version with the Tone section or a newer version without the Tone section, there is a way to get it done. And for those not wanting to use iTunes, Garageband is your next reliable stop!
And for more on what apps feature your mobile device needs, head over to this article now!